Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, January 10, 2011

Welcome to America


I have said many times in the last few weeks that Jacie has hit a wall in her social interactions and relationships. It is just as true today...as it was yesterday. She is incredibly whiny, grouchy and dissatisfied with about everything in life. I was standing by the stove, making breakfast casserole this morning and she came up beside me.

"Oh Yuck, You're making that?"

"Yeah, you don't have to eat it if you don't want."

"Yuck!

This has probably happened six or seven times today (about various topics.) She is incredibly selfish and very upset when she doesn't get what she wants...at all times. When we went to the gym, she wanted a treat. She had just finished swimming class so I let her get some crackers. When she finished her bag, she wanted more...now. She demanded them, then was very upset when I did not comply in an instant. She did it in the locker room at the pool as well.

It wasn't until later, when she asked for haystack for dinner and I told her we were not having it that she actually got into trouble. She did not even let me finish saying that I would make her rice before she was screaming at me that she wanted rice and meat...now.

Having aired all of her dirty laundry, I must go on record saying that I really believe that this is very normal for a child in her position. She went from having nothing to everything [overnight] and now we are pushing and pulling her to regulate the intake and her valve is stuck on receive. This is not a fun process for her but a necessary one. For that reason, I give her many more 'breaks' than I did her brothers (they are quick to point that out to me daily.)

She continues to make my heart bubble with laughter. She still is quite a tease and loves to laugh.

I watched her today, straining over her brothers' shoulders trying to do Swahili with them. How that made me giggle. We have a Chinese-American child who is fluent in Mandarin (though she refuses to speak it) with a Spanish first name, a French middle name trying to learn an African language.

All I could think was...

Welcome to America...

Hope all is well for you

~CP

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of Jacie! I am praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete