Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, February 14, 2011

Not A Doll Girl


I am almost ashamed to admit that it has been a week since I posted. I think that this is the first time in the =/- eight months that Jacie has been home that I have waited that long in between posts...

We have been very busy doing regular life things. The daily grind as some would call it. One of the things that we have done three times in the last week is to go sledding. I said in my last post that I didn't think that Jacie would like it...I was wrong. She loved it. On Saturday, Bart and I took the kids (and a friend) to the tubing hill in Three Rivers. I had never been there. It was really fun. Jacie rode, tucked between her brothers, time after time. She even was able to walk backup the hill, kind of. That was the hardest part. For awhile, Loren would try and drag her back up the hill sitting in the tube. I don't know if you have ever done that but it is hard work. So we let her walk quite a few times. The times that I was down there with them I carried her up o my back. I figured that it was just like backpacking, except that my backpack was a wiggle worm. I would say, "Jacie, you can't wiggle. Ma can't carry you if you let go."

Her reply, "What?"

"Don't wiggle."

"What's mean wingle?"

"Pant, pant, never mind..."

After we finished at the tubing hill, we went to Dead Man's Hill. I think that Jacie was tired because on her first trip down with Jared, they crashed and she got hurt. Then she was done for the day. I realized that she had not fallen out of a tube at all so crashing probably scared her. I told Bart that we were working on breaking her leg in preparation for them to break the other one. Yeah, my sense of humor is a little off.

She continues to develop linguistically but some days I think that it is slow. She does understand more words than she can speak. She gets frustrated when she is trying to explain something and doesn't know the word. That is when we revert back to the language that we both speak fluently, charades. Most of the time we get to a common ground. The length of time that it is taken for her to learn English has been a surprise to me. I read so many books that said within three month she would drop Chinese totally and switch to English. She did drop her Chinese early but she hasn't become fluent as fast as the books I read stated that she would. I wonder if they were talking about younger kids. Eight years of one language is a long time. This is not an issue to me but an interesting fact for me to share with you.

I still learn new things about who Jacie is everyday. I used to call her my Christmas present that I unwrapped daily. She definitely is. Here are a couple of the most recent things that I have learned. She doesn't really like meat (except ground hamburger.) She eats mushrooms in everything but pulls them off her pizza. She doesn't like to wear socks. She has sensitive skin and can't stand to wear clothes that hang funny or are tight or itchy. She is not a doll girl. She loves GI Joe men, army men, Iron man figurines and Toy Story.

This journey that we are on is very interesting. I am blessed to be walking where I am.

~CP

No comments:

Post a Comment