Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Baby Panties on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving....

Jacie has experienced her very first. It was good. Every year seems to just get better and better. I guess I sound like a Hallmark Greeting card...

I have wondered if I would be good at writing those cards? I buy enough of them.

Anyway, we did not do much on Thanksgiving because I wanted Jacie to experience one of my favorite traditions of the holiday...the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. It may seem trivial to hole up at home with only immediate family in order to catch this parade but in this house...it's tradition. I really enjoy it and wanted to see if she did as well. I have a limited read on her likes and dislikes so I couldn't 'call' what her reaction would be until I heard that the Buzz Lightyear balloon was next. Then I knew that she wuld love this tradition. I was right. She will now etch out a part of her Thanksgiving to join her mother on the sofa and watch annually. That makes me happy. It is a simple luxury but one that I am grateful for.

There have been other parts of this weekend that I am sure were confusing for her. First, I poured over a multitude of ads, picked out items and planned my strategy. You guessed it. I went out to find the next great deal on Black Friday. Actually, I started on Thanksgiving because I 'got into line' at 11:30 pm., getting home the next morning at 5 am then sleeping for the next seven hours...

All of these 'traditions' probably raise a lot of questions for this little lady who has been thrust into the middle of our lives and is learning to live deeply rooted in what we know which is so very distant from what she already knew.

She definitely has a good sense of humor though. As I was looking through ads (appliances and necessary items...)She was 'plotting' her own strategy. She had the Toys R' Us ad and was circling everything that she wanted. Correction...she was circling everything.

"Ima want everything," she would say as she circled her next item.

The best part of that was that she circled baby items as well. The family couldn't help but to tease her.

"Jacie wants baby panties (diapers)?"

"What?" She answered.

"You just circled diapers...baby panties."

"Baby panties...? No, Jacie no want."

Then she put a big line through them...

That did not stop her from circling them again later in the ad. Of course, we seized the opportunity to 'tease' her once again. I believe that for Christmas (from a close family member) she will receive her present in a diaper box. I cannot wait to witness her disgust at her 'gift'.

She continues to grow and develop, which is all that we can ask for. Monday, we will go to the Orthopedist. Pray for her.

I am truly blessed~

~Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment