Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, December 26, 2010

"I Am Not A Lady..."

Around me, hanging on my arm, is a beautiful young lady...in a fedora and dark sunglasses.


 

Jacie is everywhere right now. It is like having a toddler running around the house with the attitude of an eight year old. Sometimes...it is a lot.


 

She does not entertain herself well (understandably since she would have had 150 'roommates')and it is difficult to accomplish anything before she goes to bed. Of course, by then I am sooo tired...


 

This journey is so interesting. I have said before how grateful I am to be on it. That is just as true today as it was in the beginning. It only grows with time.


 

Jacie did experience a 'first' this weekend. She went to watch a movie with the boys. I think that she had a good time. She did not say much when she came out except that she wanted to go see another one...right that minute. Then she pouted all the way home because we left. It is hard to explain the place that she is in right now. She seems happy but constantly 'ruins' her own experiences by expecting more, bigger and better. That makes me sorry for her. She also does not like it when Bart and I talk to each other without talking to her every time. She gets incredibly jealous and tries either to talk over us, sing loudly or whine about us not liking her (just each other.)


 

The good news...? We know that this is just a 'phase' for her and as she develops a base of understanding she will begin to relax. This is probably not going to happen until after her medical and dental issues are cleared up. I feel that when we dive into these issues, she will relish the attention but resent the intrusion...if you know what I mean.


 

Another phase that it appears she is entering is puberty. Yeah, I seem to have the knack for early developing children. I am seeing body changes in her already. She will be nine in May. I was hoping that we would have three or four years to settle her in before we hit this part of her life. She is so very little, only a size 6X...here's to another journey even if it seems a little early.


 

She is so very funny and engaging. She just walked up to me, decked out in the same dark glasses and fedora, pulled her glasses down winked and said, "Hey, Lady."


 

I said, "Hey Lady, yourself."


 

With that, she looked at me pitifully and said, "I am not a lady. I am Superman."


 

Of course, I should have known that...


 

BTW: "The Dearly Love to Laugh" from the previous post is one of my favorite lines from my absolute favorite movie...Pride and Prejudice (Elizabeth Bennett.)


 

Hope all is well for you. Please continue to pray for Jacie.


 

~Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment