Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Chip Off the Old Block

Today was another good day for Jacie. Her grandma and two of her aunts set up a welcome home party/shower/meet and greet. It was very sweet and we all had such a good time. It ended up being a little 'birthday party' of sorts. Jacie got some much needed clothing items. I had put off buying some until I saw what she got at the party. It was a nice variety of items. Everyone had such nicely thought out gifts...It was also nice to see all of the people who came in support of her.


 

Bart and I have noticed an interesting thing. When she gets put in a large social setting such as tonight's, she (kind of) turns off. She draws into herself and pulls back from everyone around her. Having said that, she was not bad...maybe just overwhelmed. It is hard to know how much we should shield her or just do things semi naturally and hope that she feels comfortable enough to get to know people in her own time. She was and is very social. It is just hard as parents to know exactly how to do the right thing by her. I guess that is true across the board for parenting...


 

On the whole, I would say that she is adapting well. She uses quite a few English words and understands more than she can say. Guess I can't talk about her like she isn't there anymore...


 

We think that she is quite intelligent. She picks up things well and is extremely independent. I like that because I have always 'trained' my kids to be independant because I am and appreciate it in others. She is a chip off the old block when it comes to that. I can't say enough how thrilled we are to have her. She is in for quite a ride and we are just glad that we get to be in the seat beside her for it. Angie


 

BTW: She loved, loved, loved the princess bike that we got her. It was the one that she had asked for and practically hugged while in the Wal-Mart last week. I wasn't sure how pedaling would go with her legs...but she seems to do fine. Oh and I haven't cleaned that frig yet...but Loren rocked at his show.

No comments:

Post a Comment