Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Second Language is Charades

So I think that I figured out one of the most difficult and unexpected parts of adopting and older, international child. Today I took Jacie to the library (I LOVE the library.) There is sooo much to see and do and read. I was excited to share that part of my world with her. She wasn't really interested. Everything was in the wrong language.


 

I think that the hardest part for me is that there are so many books and things that I would like to show her and I can't. It takes a lot of patience to do the paperwork, a lot of patience to make the journey and now I realize a lot of patience to get to the place where you can share experiences. This is by no means a negative, just an observation.


 

The language barrier shows up in all areas of life. I tell people that I cannot speak Mandarin, she cannot speak English but we are both fluent in Charades...the primary language of our house right now. I guess I am bilingual.

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment