Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, December 26, 2010

"This Santa...She Real?"

It is such a shock to me that a little less than six months ago we met this precious little lady that has stolen our hearts. Almost impossible to believe that time has moved so swiftly.


 

She is definitely geared up for Christmas.


 

She wants her Buzz Lightyear.


 

We have already gone to two Christmases and she couldn't figure out why she did not receive him yet. It is difficult to explain that though Christmas is only one day...'Christmas' can also describe a season. Anything that is a higher level concept...is best left to learning through living not explanation.


 

Yesterday, she and I were at the mall and she saw Santa Claus (she is quite fascinated by him...and his reindeer.)


 

We stood awhile and watched children going up and sitting on his lap. She leaned over to me and said, "This Santa, she real?"


 

I tried to ignore the question because of the many small children standing around us. She kept questioning. I kept redirecting...


 

I asked her if she wanted to sit on his lap and have her picture taken. She had asked for that earlier in the week.


 

She promptly answered, "No."


 

"You sure?"


 

"Yes. I want to see Santa's reindeer..."


 

Unfortunately, we missed the visit from the reindeer farm at the local library. She would have really enjoyed it.


 

No picture with Santa.


 

She thought that the other kids were crazy for doing it. We have never had the boys' pictures with Santa either but if it was something that she really wanted, I was up for letting her. Little things like that build foundations of childhood that she is lacking.


 

She is the funniest creature ever. I was making dinner the other day and she ran in, stood beside me and said, "Ma, you make dinner?"


 

I answered, "Yes."


 

"What, you make?"


 

I said, "Chicken and rice."


 

She patted my rear and said, "Cool man. I like it!"


 

This was said with such great gusto, I had to laugh.


 

Well, who wouldn't laugh at the eight-year old who pats on the rump...?


 

She is really looking forward to experiencing her first American Christmas and I am looking forward to it as well.


 

~Merry Christmas to you all~


 

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment