Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Thursday, December 30, 2010

"They Be Good"


The cool thing about this 'new' blog is that I believe I will be a able to download pictures periodically.

Did you notice the large back door that I left myself...? Periodically...

Jacie is getting so very big. I watched her yesterday, sitting on her daddy's lap and I couldn't believe the difference. Though she is still little, she is strong. Her legs that had little, to no muscle in them are filled out nicely. This has resulted in a major improvement in her walking. She will start her physical therapy early next week. This should help her to put the finishing touches on her strength before her surgery.

I am sure that I mentioned that we are shooting for February for it. Our fear is that as she grows, she will get too big for Bart to carry her around continually. Also in April, we will lose him to the fields and really not have him back until December. That makes our timetable harder.

That is the reason for the 'rush.' She will also have both of her feet broken sometime this 2011 or early 2012. It all sounds terrible, doesn't it?

As a thinker and analyzer, I can be found staying up late into the night and perusing these upcoming 'projects' and wondering about them. There is nothing I would like better then for these surgeries to 'make her feet all better.' These surgeries do not have that capacity. They are scheduled for one reason...keeping her existing hips and knees. While we were walking through the store the other day she said, "Ma make me have ouchies, then my feet no bad. They be good."

You have no idea how badly I wanted to say, "Yes. These surgeries will correct all the problems that you have had since birth. They are the magic ticket."

Yet, you and I know that it is not possible. Jacie's feet will always be bad. My job (and my families') is to teach her how to embrace life in the form that it was given...what a huge undertaking. Sometimes I wonder if I am up to the task....

She did love Christmas. Like every kid, she wanted more. Yet, I think there was a welcome relief for her when it was over. There were so many, all with new faces. She doesn't engage new people the way she did when she was first here. I wonder if she has gotten bored with it? Or perhaps a little shy?

The six month anniversary of Jacie's arrival home came and went amidst all of the Christmas hustle. Time has truly taken flight and we are left holding on tight, praying that we make it to the other end.

She continues to grow, analyze and question. Her brothers continue to adapt and grow as well. For that, I am grateful.

~CP

No comments:

Post a Comment