Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, December 26, 2010

What a Kid

Jacie has been pretty emotional these last couple of days. First, she found out that surgery is coming for her legs and she is not impressed. Last night, I asked her if her legs hurt and she said, "Yes."


 

I said, "We will get that fixed." She knew right away what that meant and wasn't impressed with it at all. She kept saying that she did not want them to hurt her. I forgot to tell you all that she told me about her surgery in China. It sounds like she did not have any sleep medicine and watched the procedure. She explained in great detail what they did, where they cut and how loudly she yelled and cried while they were doing it. I have heard that anesthesia is not widely used in China. She told me that China Ma was not allowed into the room but could hear her crying and screaming in the hall...wow.


 

Having said that, I did a terrible job explaining what would happen in surgery. I tried to tell her that they would put her to sleep but she understood me to say that when she went to sleep at night (at home), someone would come up and perform the surgery. As she was heading to bed, I did not try to explain too much further. I just said, "A long time from now." I hope that a couple of months qualifies as a long time. She didn't say anything about it today. I am planning to get her the light up shoes and a new shirt for Christmas in hopes of brightening her spirits as she heads in for all of the pre-surgery things and coming out with a broken leg and a lot of work ahead of her. I ache just thinking about it for her. I have been such a chicken about causing her physical pain. I haven't taken her back in for the blood tests that she needs. When I did the first time, she cried so hard and they couldn't find the veins...it was awful. I know that I am going to have to 'bite the bullet' and do it but "yuck"... I dread it. She also needs to start on her teeth and getting the fillings in. I tried talking to her about it but she really doesn't understand well enough for me to explain. I just do not want her hating the dentist's office. It seems that she has a long road ahead of her.


 

She is doing well in her school books. She likes to accomplish things (like finishing a whole book in a week.) That makes it a little harder for me to keep her in materials that she can understand and still learn. She is better with numbers than letters. She got a new set of kindergarten books that I will start her in tomorrow. I think that she will enjoy them.


 

In summing up what I have learned about this young lady in the four months that she has been here: I would have to say that she is a little sweet, a little sassy, a lot of funny with a bit of tomboy rolled up and tied together with a sequin and light-up bow...the brighter the better. What a kid.


 

Pray for her as she walks the path she must walk. It will not be easy but is definitely necessary.


 

~Angie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment