Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In A Far Away Land









Another week has flown by and I have been busy, busy, busy. The good news is that Jacie is that much closer to having her cast off. Yay! I am very excited for that day to come though she has learned to get around quite well on her own and even takes herself to the bathroom. Score for mom...
For awhile there, I felt like I was an on-call nurse. She can be quite a demanding little stinker. It seemed like every time (and I mean EVERY) she would see me sit down or begin to eat or start to work or... well, you get it. That is when she needed a drink. Then she would suck it down, wait until I sat again and need another... I got to the bottom of that pretty quickly. I would say that she planned it every time but I think that would be inaccurate. I have noticed that she is a typical kid in that she really has no concept that there are other people around her that were not entirely put there to serve her every whim. Does that sound bitter? Hehehe

She enjoyed Easter Sunday. We went to the annual egg hunt with my dad's family. I wasn't sure how she would handle the whole egg hunt deal with the I'm currently in a wheelchair deal. She did well since they let her out early AND she had a great helper (thanks heavens for big brothers.) She found many eggs and loved to pull the goodies out of them. In fact, she loved it so much that she cried when she was done. One thing that I have noticed about Jacie is that she doesn't understand boundaries. She [acted like] thought that all of the eggs should go to her and when I talked to her about sharing and making sure that the other kids had some she got upset and cried very hard to the point of being inconsolable. She and her daddy ended up in the van and we left early. One thing that I think she struggled with that day was the sea of new faces. She doesn't deal with meeting new people very well and often does not talk to them when they speak directly to her. Unfortunately, many don't understand because she is almost nine (tomorrow.) I think sometimes they don't realize the gap that still exists between fluency, manners and understanding of traditions and expectations. Yup, its still there. It is lessening to a degree but new things arise and we get booted back to square one.

I am sure you noticed the birthday reference. She does turn nine tomorrow (which is actually today in China.) It is her accurate birthday because when she was abandoned, a note was pinned to her blanket stating it. I am looking forward to creating a special day for my gal.

"Nine years ago today, in a far away land, to a someone whom I have never met, my little girl was born..."

For that I am grateful-

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment