Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, December 5, 2011

Ying-Ying King?



Does that sound familiar to anyone? You will not believe what has happened in the two weeks since we talked. Really, you won't believe it. My own brother thought that I was 'pulling his leg.' Okay, enough drama- I will tell you. Ying-Ying King is the name of our newest daughter. No, that daughter is not Jacie. Ying-Ying is our foreign exchange student. Yes, she shares Jacie's Chinese name. So we got our Ying- Ying King anyway. Isn't it funny how God works? I truly thought that I would always just hold the name Ying-Ying in my heart as memory of the Chinese heritage that my beautiful daughter has but no. I am now signing cards with the names Ying-Ying and Jacie. I actually have a difficult time separating Jacie from Ying-Ying because we called Jacie that for a long time before we met her. I had to train myself to call Jacie her English Name instead of Ying- Ying and now I have to train myself backwards. You wouldn't think it would be as hard as it has proved to be.

Jacie has just started to study Mandarin again and her new sister has decided to make it her job to teach her. The first couple of nights, she quizzed Jacie. I heard her say to her, "I tell you that last night. You should remember."
I had to laugh, all that she needed was a ruler to whack Jacie with and she would have made the perfect picture of a school marm.

Bart and I were not 'in the market' for an exchange student but this gal needed a home. She is very interested in the Lord, the Bible and asks a lot of questions. She is very book educated. It is hard to understand everything she asks though. A lot of her information is straight from a textbook. I think that in her spare time- she memorizes them. She has a wide base of information stuffed in there.

Jacie is doing well. She is looking forward to Christmas and the rush that comes with it. I know that she remembers last year but she did not understand it like she will this year. We did have our first Christmas last weekend. She got along so well with other kids. Last year she spent the time trying to play fight with all of the kids. The kids were not sure what to do with her. This year I noticed that they played better. I love that. All of the kids received superhero capes with their initials on them. So much of the play was wrapped around those capes and that is right down Jacie's alley. I am curious how she will like her American Girl doll that Bart and I got her. They make an Asian girl named, Ivy. Bart and I decided to get it for her before her window of opportunity for playing with dolls closes. I wonder if in ten years we will sell that doll in almost new condition?

I am learning new things about her everyday. The kids are starting to meld and build relationship. It is amazing to see. Unfortunately, you would probably hear them before you saw them in public because they are very vocal and argue amongst themselves often. I am blessed.

~CP

No comments:

Post a Comment