Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Saturday, December 10, 2011

Laurita May




I cannot believe that it is almost Christmas time already. In December, Jacie will reach her year and a half anniversary of being an American citizen. Some days it feels like just yesterday that we were boarding the plane to China. The other days...? Well, they make me feel old. Jacie is in a neat spot right now. It is hard to believe that she is almost ten years old. She came as such a little girl. Tonight while we were shopping she turned around and said, "I am almost ten years old now, mom."

All I could think was, "Well, excuse me Little Miss Fancy Pants." It has been awhile since I called her that. I remember when we were blogging about her and in the blog I called her LM. So many people had guesses as to what were naming her. Laurita May is one I remember. Here I was just 'calling her names...'

She is not a very big person. Tonight I bought her a couple pairs of lined pants (she is always trying in the winter to layer her pants and looks a little frumpy.) She still took a 6X/7. There is just not a lot to her. She is definitely my girl though. What a turkey!

I am not looking forward to her upcoming surgery. We should find out when it will be scheduled on Monday when we go to the orthopedic doctor. Sometimes, when she is sitting on my lap I can feel the metal in her hip. It is difficult to remind myself that all of this is for her good. I hate the thought that she has to suffer more pain and trauma. I think that the trauma is the worst though~

Her new 'sister' continues to help her remember her Chinese. I do not think that Jacie will be fluent when our exchange student leaves because she will not speak it with her. I am not certain why Jacie chooses to not pursue Chinese but I cannot sway her in it. She knows her own mind and stands in it. The exchange student has been speaking it with/to Jacie and I do think that she will [re]learn some of it. They were singing songs on the way home from town tonight. Very pretty.

Jacie definitely remembers Christmas and is looking forward to it. She was so overwhelmed by all of the festivities last year and did not even seem to enjoy herself. This year, she talks about every tradition as though she has experienced each one her whole life. I love that. This whole journey has been really something. There are many times that I get exhausted just thinking about where we have been and where we are going but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt- we are in the right spot. This gives me joy. I am truly blessed.

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment