Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Lucky Girl with Three Moms



Tonight I sit in the darkness lit only by the twinkling of the Christmas lights. It is beautiful but leaves a lot of room for me to contemplate. Too much of that can get me into trouble. We did have a great day today. Two Christmas' and I am too wired to sleep. Unfortunately, that will probably leave me a little tired for the two Christmas' tomorrow...

Jacie had a lovely time. She was so excited to receive her American Girl doll, Ivy. She is a good little momma. Every present that she opened she showed to Ivy for approval. I wasn't sure how she would feel about a doll but she did ask specifically for this one because she is Asian. It is really too sweet. I will post a picture of the two of them (Ivy and Jacie) in the matching Christmas aprons that my mother made them. Jacie was tickled by the matching clothes. Ivy is the little Chinese sister that Jacie so desires but probably will not get. Let's hope that is enough to satisfy.

On a more somber note, Jacie's surgery date came in the mail today. I hesitated to open it because I knew that it would put a little damper on my festivities. She will undergo another major surgery on March 13th, 2012. The doctor will remove all of the hardware from her hip and leg. For those of you who are new, in March, 2011, Jacie had a major surgery in which they broke her left leg and left hip to reset them. She has five bolts and a plate in her hip and two bolts and a plate above her left ankle. All of that must come out. The doctor is also looking at 'pinching' the muscles behind her left knee in order to tighten them. It is as bad as it sounds. The doctor said that this is major and will leave her off of her feet for a minimum of 6 weeks. The 6 weeks last time turned into about 4 months for the surgery. He is also considering stopping the growth in her right leg so that her left leg can play catch up. They are about an inch different now. In order to stop the growth he would have to open the right leg in two places at the growth plate and put in metal plates...

I try not to fixate on how difficult this is going to be. It sounds so little but it breaks my heart that she will be in a wheelchair over her birthday again. She does not like the chair. I don't either, it is such a hassle to lug around. My kindest thoughts to those of you who deal with one on a daily basis.

At this point, we are having special orthotics made for Jacie. They are expensive and not covered by insurance. We are also having a shoe built up for her. I am very surprised how little insurance will pick up for her with her diagnosis but both of these items are necessities and will happen- Bart and I will see to it. The cool thing about the shoe build is that the other kids will not be able to tell. It is all inside. This particular shoe builder has even built high heels for a lady and no one could tell that they were built. How cool is that...?

Two nights ago, Jacie finally realized that China Ma was not her 'real' ma. She was quite broken up about it. If you remember, China Ma was her foster mother. She lived there at least after her surgery in China but I suspect before that surgery as well. Anyway, she asked me why she lived in the Police Department and I told her that her biological mother had left her there. She was devastated. She cried a little and asked a lot of questions. I finally told her that she was a lucky girl because in her 9 1/2 yrs. she could claim 3 mothers. Her biological mother who loved her enough to give her up (and get her the help she needed,) China Ma, who took care of her when she needed someone and I wasn't there and of course, me. She seemed to agree that God had taken care of her pretty well. How my heart broke for my little girl. The good news? She is a trooper and a toughie. I have confidence in her.

I look forward to tomorrow. Christmas is such a beautiful time of year. I love the early morning rush of gifts and the lazy lag that follows. I have to wonder though how Ivy will like the Star Wars mini-figures and light sabers that Jacie specifically requested. She is such a corker. A doll and a light saber- now that makes sense. The only thing that would make Jacie happier? If we got a small light saber for Ivy as well.

God bless you this Christmas. Please keep Jacie in your prayers. After the New Year, we will be telling her about the surgery. It will go over like a lead balloon.

~Camo Pants

1 comment:

  1. How long of a light saber would Ivy need? I have a 6 incher +/- that makes noise. Let me know. I could bring it in January.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete