Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Tuesday, May 1, 2012

To AFO or Not to AFO...That is the Question

Last night we were pretty energetic and ready for anything- tonight, we are just plain tired. We were woken up at 1 am, 4 am, 5 am and 6 am. At that point, we just got up and showered. I was surprised that they had to check her vitals that many times in the first night. Dr. Rush was surprised as well. He said, "What in the world are they doing waking up a perfectly healthy child in order to check her blood pressure?"

I replied, "Uhhmm... well... at 1 in the morning, I didn't ask."

He said, "I'll see that they don't do that again."

Let's hope that he has the power to make that happen.

I told you yesterday that the therapist said yesterday that we didn't need ankle braces or AFOs. Imagine my surprise when at lunch time a Dr. came in to measure her for them. I thought, "Man, I did that happy dance too quickly."

Later when Jacie and I were in the playroom, Dr. Rush walked by. He stopped in to visit and was just as surprised to hear that she was casted for those braces as well. He told me that he did not order them and no one else had the 'power' to do so. So the big debate is AFOs? or not?

I was also shocked to hear Dr. Rush say that the nurse told him that I refused to let Jacie wear her leg brace last night. That is not exactly how it happened. She came in and said that she was supposed to put Jacie in her leg brace at about 7pm. I said, "Jacie doesn't wear the leg brace yet. It is only here to be used during physical therapy if needed."

She said, "Okay."

That was it- word for word. I am not certain where the word refusal came from but Dr. Rush said that he wrote specifically that she was not supposed to wear it unless Joe, the therapist, asked for it. I think that there are some communication issues. Other than these minor issues, Jacie is getting great physical therapy help. I keep reminding myself that is why we are here. The therapist is very good at what he does. I appreciate the time and effort he is putting in to making sure that Jacie is able to learn to walk correctly. She also has occupational therapy. That has been kinda funny because they have been trying to teach her how to get dressed and take care of herself- of course, she has been doing that independently for many years. I think that she finds that part of her work annoying. She said to me this morning, "They are going to watch me dress?"

I replied, "No of course not. They just want to make certain that you can."

She is not convinced. Tomorrow she has to take a shower when they are here to ensure that she can do it. Of course, she has been even with her cast but they want proof. They are going to be in the room while she is in the bathroom showering and dressing. I guess I will entertain them because I don't help her shower past making sure the water is not too hot.

I do have to say that it was the occupational therapist that found that Jacie does not use her left fingers correctly. She picks things up laterally- does not use her pincher grip. I never noticed that so I am grateful for the information so that we can work with her on it. I guess it was worth the loss of privacy. I am just surprised that I never saw it. It think that it is because she is so good at compensating for her weaknesses with her right hand.

I am not certain how long we will be here. I know that the time given will be a good investment. I am just afraid that I might go out of my mind from the long afternoons and evenings. Dr. Rush did say that I can take Jacie to town whenever I wanted. I think that every nurse on the floor cringed when he said it because later I talked to the nurse about taking her to Meijer and told her Dr. Rush said to 'just let the nurse know so that they didn't think that she was abducted.' She said please let us know as early as possible because there is a lot of paperwork that must be filled out. I am thinking that I might not do it very often for that reason.

I'll try to take some pictures during therapy tomorrow. Hope that all is well.

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment