Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, May 12, 2013

Adoption is Beautiful



I lie here on the sofa, watching PBR (hey, I'm a farm-girl, what can I say?) and blogging again. One might say that after all of the talking that I did yesterday, I would find the need to be quiet. Nope. That is where this blog has come in handy. It is my outlet. It is my reflection. It offers me a place to carry a one-sided conversation where I find that I am always right. What would not be loved about that??

This weekend I had the privilege of speaking at the home school convention about our adoption experience. It was amazing. I am definitely a talker, so it was right down my alley. My session went very well. The funny thing was that I spoke about the money aspects of adoption. That is so out of my realm. I have not figured out how to handle all of the expenses that come from an international adoption yet and I am at almost 3 years in. Perhaps it is something that is never mastered? There are so many facets involved. The adoption costs themselves, the medical costs, dental costs, I could keep going. All I could do is look at these generous, loving people and say, "Hold on tight!"

I just hope that someone got a tiny bit of information that helped them understand adoption a little more fully. Then my time was well spent.

My favorite part of this weekend was meeting the people. There are so many people who have adopted, are adopting, dream of adopting or are adopted themselves. Every one of them have a story. I had the rare opportunity to see other people's hearts. Amazing. I am blessed. Here I thought all of my writing, speaking and blogging was to tell our story. Now I am beginning to think that is not so- it is to offer others the chance to share theirs. God has such neat plans. I too have learned to hold on tight~

Today is mother's day. I reflect on the history and purity that comes with the words Mother's Day and marvel at how the look of this day has changed so greatly since it started so long ago. Today, my family celebrated our mothers. There were many. We celebrated our biological mothers, adoptive mothers, stepmothers, godmothers. All under one name. Mother. Many members of my family have biological mothers that they have never met- will never meet. They too can be honored. They offered life. They made the hard decision. These same family members have adoptive mothers that they love. They are honored. My personal story includes a stepmother. I honor her. She loves my dad. She loves my kids. She loves me. That is enough. She is one of my mothers.

My adopted children struggle. There hearts are here. They love their family but they are curious. They desire to know where they come from. Who was in their corner when their lives began. Jacie will not know. She [and I] will always wonder. Hopefully God can fill the needs that she has and will have as she grows and develops. I am grateful to all the biological mothers that have offered life to the children that I love. I am convinced in the depths of my heart that if they are alive and walking the paths they have chosen, they think of the children that I am blessed to call my own. I mourn for them. Their hearts will never be fully reconciled. May God bless them with a rich peace that offers their hearts balm.

I am grateful for all that I have been given. Amidst the pain that life can offer, there is beauty. ~Adoption is beautiful~
Happy Mother's Day!

Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment