Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, November 30, 2014

An Almost Teenager

It is hard to believe that my home now has two teenagers and an almost teenager. Where has the time gone? With Jacie, it seems as though we were just stepping off the plane in Chicago and now she is nearing her 'teen' years. People often tell me that they feel like Jacie has been here so much longer than 4 years. I think it is the other way. I feel as though the time has moved so swiftly that I am running behind it in hopes to savor even a second of her childhood before it slips away. I am sure that I mentioned she has braces on her teeth now- she is NOT a fan of the braces or me because I insisted that she get them. Her teeth were termed by the orthodontist as severe. I knew the minute that I saw her on the curb of that dusty road that she would need a lot of dental care.

I continue to attempt to write her book. It is difficult to find the time to sort through the 200,000 words I have written in this blog and narrow it down to 50,000. I have made a blog book of all that was written and all of the pictures that have been posted since the day that I met her. I enjoy picking through the book and remembering the time that has passed. She enjoys looking as well.

She went to the orthopedic doctor this week for her check-up. We really appreciate her doctor. He is young and smart and appears to really enjoy Jacie. He was the first doctor to meet her in America and we followed him when he left the original practice. Going to see him is like visiting a family member. He has studied and followed her case with such precision.

She is back into her swimming season. Swimming is an incredible exercise for her. She and I went to Grand Rapids for a meet last week and met an awesome athlete. Her name is Elizabeth and she was born in a foreign country. She only has one leg (I am not sure when her other one was amputated- before America or in her birth country.) Elizabeth is a United States Para-Olympian. She swam in Beijing and won a bronze in at least one event. Jacie and I were excited to meet and talk with her. We are considering putting Jacie in some para-Olympian  style events. As Jacie is paralyzed from the knees down and has a neuromuscular disorder and hip dysplasia. We will have to wait and see if this all comes to pass in Jacie's future.



I am blessed everyday to know this girl. She is a beautiful person who fills my heart daily.

Camo Pants

Angie King's photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment