Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journey Over a Precipice

Again it seems that I do not get the time very often to sit and update you all on our lives and the journey that we are taking.


 

Jacie is currently doing a paint by number in the other room. Well, now she has dumped her water all over it...I'll be back.


 

Yup, a big ole' mess. I am used to those though and it would be hard to mess up my house right now, I am sad to say. It seems that I am walking behind LM and picking up her discards all of the time. No different than a regular child I guess, except I have a hard time explaining to her how to clean up after herself (in charades). I really need to go to some 'charades as a second language' classes. Maybe I can improve my communication skills.


 

I told you that Jacie was painting. She loves to draw and cut and paint. She is quite good with a pencil...


 

Nights are still a struggle here. She does not want to go to bed and cries every time that she even thinks she might have to. The boys complain that Jacie gets to stay up later than they did at eight and they are right, she does. We don't know how to enforce bed without the boys up there too. She really could use about three straight days of sleep...probably not in the cards though. She would probably feel like a 'new woman' if she did.


 

She has also arrived at a precipice. She has to make some decisions for herself and we cannot help her. Probably if language weren't such a barrier we could help her reason out her decisions but we can't so we play it by ear. Her major decision is now that the 'fun' part (or honeymoon) period of our relationship is over, is she going to accept us as her family. I don't have to tell you that being part of a family means that you accept the good, bad and ugly. She is starting to realize that we don't eat ice cream for breakfast everyday and wash it down with a Pepsi...


 

I have every confidence that she will decide to 'join' the club. I do feel like we are part of an exclusive 'club' and she is on the outside looking in. We know each other's quirks, likes and dislikes and work together as a team. I wonder how it would look to this child who doesn't speak our language and probably has never experienced the working gears of family life. We work very hard to be sensitive to her and include her at all times...hopefully we have done enough.


 

We have been blessed by many kind words and deeds. We can't thank you enough. Please continue to pray for our family as we walk this journey together. Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment