Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Princess and Her Prince

Tonight, Jacie and I had a little together time. She was a little disappointed to see her Ba and googas pull out of the driveway without her. Then she spent the whole evening questioning me as to whether Ba was in fact coming home or staying where he was...Thank goodness I like her Ba, since there is noooo competition for her affections. He has won!


 

She is very affectionate to me but I know who takes the cake. It has been like that with all of the children since his work schedule keeps him quite busy and away from the house. Perhaps the saying, 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder' has some truth to it...


 

Developmentally, she is in an interesting stage. Her actions place her at a younger level but her understanding of concepts is relatively high. She continues to have an avid interest in everything and cannot bear to even sleep. BTW, she started last night in her bed but jumped ship within a couple of minutes and was back to her cot. I knew that she wasn't quite ready. Anyway, I think that she will not have a problem learning if she is interested but I am noticing a trend. As her language develops, her inability to sit still and focus seems to be growing. She also writes many of her letters (self-taught, since I have not started school with the kids yet)backwards. She is eight...I guess we will see if the Lord has a sense of humor and sent me another child with dyslexia.


 

Another thing that she recently has started is when she asks for something (which is a lot of the time) and I say no, she will point to the underwear in the cart for one of the boys or their toothbrush, etc. and say, "Ma like Loren (Jared)...Ma no like Jacie. Ma say, 'Yes, Loren (Jared)...no, Jacie.'" It is difficult to reason with her because though her English is coming, it is not complete. Trust me, she is definitely not going without anything and asks for everything.


 

The more that I think about our trip to China, the more that I realize that much of what she has grown up with is what we are hearing now. I noticed that in China, money and gifts were very important. I felt like some of their worth was based on the gifts. They seemed to try to 'show each other up' when it came to money, gifts and their children. Perhaps I misread that vibe...?


 

On the whole though, she is my little sweetheart. I have to admit it is fun to have a girl. A little bit of princess stuff mixed in with all of the boy stuff is a nice change though she likes the boys' stuff as much or more than her own...I guess she's not the first kid to do that.


 

She continues to grow and develop every day. ~Angie


 

No comments:

Post a Comment