Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Regular Old Nag

Hello...again (some of you are thinking, again and again and again.) So I am a little wordy...


 

Jacie is doing well. She is painting with watercolors right now. They had watercolor sets on sale so we bought one. She loves projects. Unfortunately for her the rest of the family likes to eat and have clean laundry so I cannot project with her all day. I have to hide some of the harder projects because I do not have the time to work with her and cannot explain it to her. Kind of naughty, I know.


 

Relationally, Jacie and I are in a unique phase. I am with her the most so I am the one who is teaching her everything. Let me tell you, it is not fun for her. She does not have basic etiquette skills so in social situations, I am the one that is correcting her. I also make her brush her teeth, even when she doesn't want to. I make her pick-up her things. I am a regular nag...


 

Though this is all good stuff and positive to her growth...she finds it difficult. One cannot blame her.


 

Having said all of that. We are very close. We have 'private' jokes, just for the two of us. She freely gives and receives affection, says the right words and does very normal things...I can still tell that she doesn't grasp the full meaning of family. So many times she has said the words, "I Love You" and it is sweet but she still doesn't know what she is saying. Today she said to the Taco Bell drive-in worker, "Bye-bye, I love you."


 

I laughed and said to her, "You are right, who doesn't love the Taco Bell lady...she's the keeper of the good stuff..."


 

Now I'll bet that made the lady smile, maybe even made her day...but it makes me realize with better clarity, where she is in language acquisition and understanding of what she says. The concept of love is hard to grasp and cannot be shown by using charades.


 

She has seen a lot since she got to America and experienced as much as possible. I am sure that it feels a little like a roller coaster for her both physically and emotionally. She has to choose whether she is in or out. I'll bet she's in...


 

Since she got here, 6 weeks ago yesterday. We have hatched baby chicks, bought 35 other baby chicks, ridden horses and had a doe give birth to twins (who ended up being bottle fed.) And that was just at home. She has been camping, been to a horse show, seen all of the farm from the seat of a tractor and learned to love garage saling. Not bad for a kid who didn't even walk until she was six.


 

In her short life...she has seen and done a lot. I have no doubt that someone, somewhere has prayed for this child probably since birth. I have always felt that way about this adoption. I have know in my heart that someone who is connected to her life has prayed for her...I believe it more since I have met her. Everything fell into place to easily...


 

On the lighter side (heavier actually...) Jacie is growing. She eats like a logger. I have noticed a difference in the way that her clothes are fitting her. Her face is also changing as well. She could use the growth...


 

I have wondered if her feet will grow normally now that they are straightened??? Guess I have to wait and see. She only wears size 11 right now. I have never raised a girl (my boys went into men's shoes at eight) so I have nothing to compare it to.


 

She is looking at some upcoming doctor appts. that will tell us more about her legs, hips and feet. Until then, we are just enjoying the busyness that summer brings and swimming as much as possible. Hope you are all having blessed summers.


 

A huge thanks to the Yoders for your gift to our family...it's my favorite. Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment