Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Sunday, December 26, 2010

"Are You Twelve?"

Tonight I am feeling a little lazy, quite sentimental and in need of a cozy blanket by the fire...


 

Instead, I am 'curled up' with my computer.


 


 


 

Jacie celebrated her first Christmas.

Of course, it was her first in the States, first of the season and perhaps first ever. We have no definite on that. Maybe we will never know...


 

There are so many things that we don't have any knowledge about. The hard part is that they are what make up our little girl's past. I try not to think about those things, the years that we missed and the losses that she has walked. If I dwell too long, I get overwhelmed.


 

She loved the Christmas today. I would say that her least favorite part was the car ride. Though it wasn't more than 2 hours...it seemed long. Some of the other family members made much longer trips but for her it "took forever."


 

We are blessed with an incredible family. They have welcomed Jacie readily. They made every effort to make sure that she was 'being taken care of' and included at all times. It truly is a blessing to Bart and I.


 

She has a little difficulty playing with other children. I think that it is because her language is not fully in place. She understands a lot but still has what I call "Man-size holes" in her base. You can be walking along, talking away and she will be right with you. Then all of the sudden...Poof. She has no clue what you are saying...


 

It is difficult to explain that to children. The language barrier and her inability to run well, at times, can place her running behind the pack of children yelling, "Wait for me..."


 

It is a difficult place to be in as a parent. I tried to watch from a 'safe' distance and not intervene too much. I want her to learn to maneuver life on a normal level but I do not want her to think ever, that she is not good enough, pretty enough or strong enough to 'run with the pack.'


 

She did like her presents and swimming in the pool with her new friends. She also discovered a new delectable favorite to add to her likes column of the 'menu.'


 

She loves Chex Mix.


 

A lot.


 

I think that she might have consumed an entire bag on her own, minus the trail she left on the ground behind her. She wasn't hard to find...


 

She hugged grandma when we were leaving and said, "Thank you. I Love You."


 

Grandma gave her a kiss and said, "Merry Christmas, I Love You too."


 

She has always had great respect for the elders (especially gray haired folks.) I believe that is Chinese tradition. I laughed when I heard Jacie ask grandma, "Are you twelve?"


 

Grandma looked at her a little funny.


 

She (not grandma, Jacie) is tired and very cranky. She is standing behind me yelling at her brother. I am shocked.


 

"I hate you..." she is yelling and pointing at Loren.


 

They struggle.


 

He is very protective of her. We often call him, 'Daddy Loren.'


 

His protective authority drives her to distraction. Sometimes I don't blame her...


 

They will make-up before they go to bed. They always do. I am just surprised that she even knew the word hate...


 

Continue to pray for our family as we are still in transition.


 

~Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment