Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, February 21, 2011

A Little Bit of Crazy Mixed with a Lot of 'Not Quite Right'







So this little family of mine is crazy. Crazy I tell you. I am the only sane one in the bunch and I have never been 'quite right', if you know what I mean...
It is difficult to explain where my family is relationally because the circumstances that have gone into the creation of this crazy bunch are a little off (like the rest of us.) Tonight I made a nice dinner and we sat down at the table. I love sitting down at the table together in an organized fashion. It is the only organized thing in our lives at times. Anyway, while we were eating everyone was having a good time. Imagine their surprise when I pulled out little heart cakes for each of them. I had intended to make them on Valentine's Day but got the flu and have been waiting for the right time. Tonight lent itself to that and it was delightful. I dolled them up with yummy pink frosting. The sad thing? I can't eat cake. Enough about me... I know that they enjoyed them because when I looked over at Jared, he had cake all over his face, even in his eyelashes. In honor of President's Day...I cannot tell a lie. He looked ridiculous and it made us all laugh.

I have told you in the past that Jacie is an obsessive sniffer. She smells everything. Always. Amidst the chaos and laughter that filled the room, I heard Bart say to Jacie, "Smell your cake." Never one to resist that kind of temptation, down went her head. I heard silence then loud, raucous laughter. Jacie's [mean] father had pushed her face into the cake. The picture at the top tells the story best. If it had only stopped there...

Then Bart said to Jared, "Smell your cake..."

Yeah, he made the billboard...

Check out my twins! Jacie and Jared do resemble each other in many ways. It is because of their similarities that they fight so often and loudly. Heaven help us as they grow up together. The best part about their relationship is that Jared finally has a playmate. I know that at twelve, almost thirteen, this window will not last forever but it is nice for him (even if he doesn't realize it.) I think that Loren's role leans more toward the protective older brother (which drives her CRAZY.) He will not let her watch certain things on TV, eat certain things that he doesn't think are good for her, etc. You can imagine the battles that rage in this household. Jacie did not enter into this family as a meek and mild little thing looking for guidance. Not even close. She came barreling in full of personality and toughness with a lot of busy and a little sparkle. This has been very difficult for the boys to understand. So misunderstandings result. Bart and I feel as though we are 'putting out fires' all of the time. Hopefully, as they mature... well...okay...

The thing that all of the children don't see (and I do) is that they are perfectly matched. Jacie is willing to join them in what makes them tick. As they grow closer together relationally, I believe that they will meld together and make a pretty tight team. Well, only as long as Loren runs point.

and...only if I can keep them from killing each other.

If you look at the pictures you will probably notice that the one who is holding them (in order for me to get a picture before they clean-up) is none other then my 'point man'. He adores torturing both of his siblings. He might have come by that naturally...

I have said in the past and say again tonight, "There is a lot of crazy in my life but I wouldn't have it any other way."

~CP






1 comment: