Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Nice Kid

Jacie helped the 4-H Club place flags for Memorial Day


Jared's Gifts...wrapped by LM herself.




As I sit here and write, I can hear the kids in the background playing and joking together. This is a rare occasion so I am relishing in it...

Jared turned thirteen today.

I have two teenagers. Man, what was I thinking?

Jacie was my little helper getting ready for his birthday dinner tonight. She did all of the wrapping which kept her busy and out of my hair for awhile. She did well- check out the picture. I thought that it was funny that she wrote only her name on the gifts but I loved the hearts and Happy Birthday greetings. Part of the reason is that she wrote only her name is that she only knows how to spell it- not Bart and I's.

She has come a long way since Loren's birthday. On that day, she was terrible and the only thing that we could think was that she didn't like the attention on Loren...? That is speculation. She did start today cranky and out of sorts but I put a stop to it very quickly and she responded agreeably after that.
Physically, she is doing well. She does some independent walking now, though very little. I still put her in the wheelchair if I want to get anywhere. She is so slow...

I think that I told you in the last post that her leg infection is cleared up. She is going to have a large scar on that leg because of the severity of the infection but at least we don't have to deal with bandages and such. Sometimes I feel bad for her. She has so many scars on her feet already and now she has an eight inch one on her hip- which will be visible in a bathing suit. She also will have this wide, thick one on the front of her leg which is very obvious. It isn't really important but to her it will be. I hope that I can help her to realize at a young age how little that matters. She is pretty flexible so I'll bet she figures it out. Thank heavens that she is a good natured kid since the orthopedist said, "Well, now one leg is shorter than the other. We will have to do the same surgery to the other leg."

"Uhmm..." I replied while quickly plugging her ears.
Just a little something to look forward to. The good news is that she won't need the hip work on that side. They will probably just break her leg, take out some bone and put in plates.

She continues to look for her fairy to appear in her fairy garden. Loren told her that one would come, so I have to find a little fairy figurine and 'plant' it in her garden sometime this summer. I better do it quickly before I forget. I have been known to do that. In fact I forget more than I remember at this point.

Jacie went with us to the homeschool convention for the first time. I think that she liked it except that it was very busy and she was in a wheelchair. Anyway, I did find some of her curriculum. It was a trip down memory lane for me. I haven't had a younger learner for awhile. But, true to form, she came home and wanted to work out of all of her books. Every year that happens. The boys have always enjoyed picking their books then read half of them on the way home. She, on the other hand, has taken a liking to the writing and drawing books I got her. Everyday, she voluntarily does several pages in them both. We will finish school this week and then I will put the books away. By October, they will seem like new ones...

I hope. I am looking forward to being done with school. It frees my mind up and I love it. Of course, we are very busy in the summer but it is a good busy. And all THREE kids are going to camp. I am not kidding. We will see how that goes. I will give her the option to come home at night and sleep but the boys will be in cabins across the lawn from her and there are eight little girls in her cabin. She will probably like it so much that at the end of camp, I won't be able to get her to come home. She loves to sleep in the same room with people. I know that she will enjoy the swimming and crafts. I hope that it is a good experience for her.

She is beginning to look older and more mature. It seems early but only because we missed so much. I love having a daughter and couldn't have asked for a nicer kid. I am blessed.

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment