Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Friday, June 24, 2011

God Intended



I'm back....


As I sit here tonight and watch my family interact, I can't help but to be grateful. They are healthy and happy. I am blessed.


My hands are on the mend. They still hurt when I type but I have learned to live with the pain some. I bet it would help if I would keep my hands wrapped, like they are supposed to be. I am a not so patient- patient. As I know that I am extremely lucky, so I won't complain...much.


Jacie got the cutest haircut this week. She still acts as though her hair is being pulled painfully piece by piece from her head when the beautician works her magic. It is hilarious. Really. I wish you could see the drama this little 'queen' can produce.


It seems impossible that a little short of 365 days ago, we flew into Chicago from Hong Kong (Beijing.) This year has truly flown by. It has been a tremendous amount of work and there are days that I am not certain if I am qualified for the job I find myself in. The emotional journey of adoption on the whole and older child special needs specifically can drain. Going into the adoption, I would have never thought about the day to day work that was required. In the process, I focused on meeting the massive paperwork crunch and garnering the funds required. It wasn't until the paper crunch was complete and the storm subsided that I realized the real work was beginning- it has been my focus since.


Jacie continues to grow. She is developing physically which looks a little awkward on her because her body is so little. She asked me about that development today and I wasn't sure what to tell her. Though her language is coming along, the concept of quality of food, amount of fat in her diet and the change in culture is difficult to explain. I have been playing it by ear in hopes that her growth would level off. Nope.


I talked to her about learning to read today. I am not certain how to teach her because I am not certain exactly where she is in language acquisition truly. I give my best estimates but that is what they are, estimates. She loves the National Geographic Kids magazine. I am hoping to use it to encourage her to read. We'll see how that goes. I am hoping that when we move into the new house we will be able to set up a school room and offer a little bit more thinking space for each kid. I believe that it will help facilitate Jacie's transition to reading and learning. Her handwriting is beautiful. She has been able to copy things from the start and is quite the drawer. I like that about her.


She was a little lonely this week because her brothers were out of town. She is not used to being an only child. Sooo...she pestered her dad and I. We loved it though. She is a neat girl. She is one of my favorite people and I am blessed that she is where God intended her to be. I am also blessed that 'God intended' for her to visit grandma's house yesterday and ride with dad today. I loved the break and am a better mother for it.


Continue to remember her as she walks this unique road. I am certain that we are all on the right track but the requirements of time, attention and grace are often overwhelming.


~God is good~


~Camo Pants





No comments:

Post a Comment