Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hawaiian Mermaid








I am sitting here listening to the waves beat against the shoreline with a water in one hand and...my computer in the other.

Yes, we are on vacation in Hawaii for a family wedding. I couldn't ask for better weather or more beautiful scenery. It has been an amazing time. Jacie has enjoyed herself greatly. She is 'as brown as a berry' some would say. Her tan is amazing. Don't tell China...they keep themselves covered in order not to get sun. I thought that she might burn so for the first three days, I put 50 SPF on her. Through that, she did get a little red but not painful. Now she has a good enough base that she doesn't need it anymore. She is such a water baby. For the first four days, we stayed in a hotel on Waikiki Beach. She swam for almost four hours straight one of those days. She prefers the pool to the beach though. When we had her in the shower after visiting the beach, I could hear her muttering, "I no like beach...I like pool."

I think the reason for her distaste is the sand that filled up her swimsuit. She found that disturbing. The second half of our trip has been at a private beach house with a private beach but no pool. She has adjusted but I still hear her muttering, "I no like the sand," as she empties her suit...

Today she enjoyed herself 'boogie boarding.' She sat on the board and let her daddy pull her around. When the waves hit her she would laugh, suck in salt water and sputter. Then she would jump back on and do it again. After awhile, her oh so patient father got tired and she sat on the board herself [practically onshore] and yelled, "Hit me baby," at every wave that came ashore. What a piece of work.

Last night she was a piece of work as well. She got a little grouchy at the wedding reception and I told her that if she didn't straighten up she would have to go to bed. She decided to change her attitude so she could stay up and ended up being the life of the party. She danced and danced, doing cartwheels to entertain the guests. Yes, I said, "Cartwheels."

This mamma's heart about leapt into her chest at every turn but she had a good time. What an interesting life we live.

All in all, we have had a good time. Jacie served as a flower girl/ring bearer of sorts at the wedding and loved every second. She ended up in all of the pictures. I had her dressed in a Hawaiian sundress with a Hawaiian flower in her hair. She looked adorable.

Tonight we are going to a Polynesian Dinner Cruise. Hopefully they don't ask for volunteers for dancing, I know which kid will be first in line. Hope that all is well for you...

~CP

No comments:

Post a Comment