Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wow! What Ride!



Jacie and I had a lot of fun last night. We had a girl's night. This might not seem like a monumental thing to most of you because she is nine years old and a girl- it would seem that we had done this before. We hadn't. It has been over thirteen months since Jacie came and we are just crossing into the territory that allows for an activity like this to happen.

Yeah, it took that long. Every single piece of Jacie's base has to be laid in with precision and grace. Relationships have to grow and be developed. It is a delicate job. We are moving forward though. For that I am grateful~

She has been going to Physical Therapy twice a week and has decided that she is not a fan. AT ALL...

I keep trying to explain to her that their are benefits but she cannot grasp it. I told her, "You need to learn to walk correctly."

Her response, "I can walk. I no need help."

"Don't you want to walk like the other kids?"

"I do."

Now you can see where our dilemma lies. She does not notice that her walking is not up to par. I find that interesting. The good news is that her Physical Therapist has learned the key to her heart and is going to use it in 'encouragement.' She found out that Jacie loves Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips. So she is going to buy a bag, place it on the counter and let Jacie earn a small cup of them by not complaining. I guess we'll see how that goes. She [at this point] is the queen of complaining and drama.

Hopefully she will learn how to use her knee correctly and to quit hyper-extending it. The therapist thinks that it is a learned way of walking and can be unlearned. Let's hope so. It makes me tired just watching her.

She is quite the pig wrangler. I love to watch her. She works a board like a pro. You should see it. She was down at the pig pen feeding them dog biscuits in order to facilitate them liking her. She is convinced that she is going to show pigs next year. Her daddy says that she isn't allowed to be in with them at all. I guess we have a year to figure out that issue. She loves to be actively involved on the farm. Tonight I looked out and saw that her daddy had her driving the 4-wheeler (with him on) and pulling the trailer behind. She was definitely in her element.

Having said that, I am not certain how to engage her in reading. She just doesn't seem to have time for it. Sitting down for more than a couple of minutes and listening is torture for her. I have her in the summer reading program in Centreville and for the first time- I am not certain that I can get one of my kids to finish it. I never had this problem with the boys. They were always the first ones done. I hope that when she learned to read, this will change. Another case of I guess we will see.

She is a garage sale fan though. She reminds me of the boys when they were little. They would go through every single little box, all the way to the bottoms and come up with a great treasure. She is the same way. Yesterday, she found a Knights Castle Lego set. She loved it. So I let her get it and I know that when we get out her homeschool knights and castles materials- she will use it. She likes the little Lego people. That reminds me of Loren- he loved Legos.

She is growing taller everyday. She is also getting bigger. She thinks that she is getting fat but in truth she is still a size 7/8 and is 9. So she is a little bit behind. She has gone from a size 5 to a size 7 in one year. At her age, that is not unheard of. She is not a tiny, frail girl. She is small but quite strong and muscular. I think that she looks healthy. I am glad that she is gaining some height and size. She needed it. Everyone says that she looks little and I would agree but I think that it is because she is always with her brothers and they are big strapping boys. We grow them big on the farm...

Our lives continue to move forward and our family dynamics continue to mold. I am convinced that we are in the right place and trust everyday in the one who placed us here. All of our flaws might seem like they interfere with what we are trying to do here but actually they make us into who we are and strengthen the bond that we are growing. A life well lived~ That is what we are striving for. All of us~

~CP

I love this quote and see a lot of Jacie in it:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather skid in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"

As proof, she is dancing around me head banging to the music in her head and playing her air guitar. Ask her grandma- her rock concert is quite a sight. You would think that being sick would slow her down. Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment