Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, September 26, 2011

Fickle Ferapee







For those of you who have been wondering where I have been I have only one word: Fair...

It has been fair time for the King household. The good news is that it is over for another year. Wow! What an incredible amount of work. Thank heavens it is worth it.

Jacie had a wonderful time. She loved every second and was upset to see it end. A friend of ours brought a mini horse over to the fair for her to ride. She had the time of her life. She rode 'Elmo' every day. She picked his pen, walked him around the arena and pretty much hung on him the whole time. I was actually surprised at the attention she paid. I thought maybe she wasn't as interested as her brothers...wrong. She has picked up some of the riding patterns from watching others. She was pretty good. She sat up straight, held her reins with one hand and focused her eyes forward. I think that we will be 'on the market' fairly soon...

Not that we didn't bring anything home from the fair.

His name is Kevin and he is a little goat. Just what we need- another mouth to feed. Jacie loves him. She thinks that he is hers. That is okay since she has no animals out on the farm that were not here when she got here. There are so many critters around here, I don't want to just add to the collection without thought. Kevin was well thought out.

Jacie won quite a few awards at the fair. She took Judge's Choice on her picture, beating her brother for that award. She also won first place with her petunias. The funny thing is that she and I cut petunias together off the same plant. We stuck some in one pot and some in another. She won. I lost. Little turkey.

I was surprised at how well she walked for the whole week- in cowboy boots. I think that the surgery did more for her then I realized. Between the surgery and the physical therapy, I think that she is getting stronger and more able. I love that. She is such a great girl. I want the best for her. It seems like she has been here for ever, nope- only fifteen months.

Her language is getting better but there are things that she does not get. Her pronunciations are off and often make us laugh. I wish that you could hear them. She is trying to say the words, platypus, New York or physical therapy. They come out more like poopapus, New Yircc and fickle ferapee. Seriously, it is a hoot.

She continues to fight me on wearing her patch. I am amazed at how creative she gets in her reasoning for not wearing it. I hear anything from, "I don't want to" to "I can't see at all with it on." She is full of excuses. Unfortunately for her, I am not affected by her pleading. I know the long-term value.

She continues to sleep in her room by herself though the first night we came home from fair she cried and fussed about it. I told her that she could sleep on the sofa but I think that was more of a scary thought than sleeping upstairs in her room. Her brothers are fairly accessible. She is also in the room between them in hopes that she is more comfortable. So far I think that it has worked. What a difficult thing to overcome for her. She always slept with other people. I'll bet she gets married just so she doesn't have to sleep alone.

She continues to eat, grow and develop-

I am definitely living the good life.

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment