Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Saturday, March 24, 2012

Double or Nothing...? Really!?!










It is hard to believe that it has been 10 days since I last posted. How the time does fly...

I just finished bathing Jacie- what an ordeal. It is very difficult to bathe a child that is fully casted in a sitting position from her toes to her nose. All I could think is, "Wow, I am glad that she is not casted in a straight leg position." Between you and me...- she is not as clean as she once was. My greatly fatigued mind and body just cannot handle it. I do make sure that she has a thorough shower, hair wash and nail cleaning once a week. The rest of the time, I kinda let it slide. Thank heavens she's 9 and not 19...

I have so much to tell you. I am not certain where to start. So I guess I will dive into the middle and row backwards if I need.

Jacie did talk me into getting chicks. I really hesitated getting any because she is in a wheelchair and does not get out as much. She begged and pleaded until I finally gave in. It does bring a sense of normalcy to our farm, we always have chicks. I also knew that my laying hens needed culled and replacements were in order. So 'she' is the proud owner of 6 chicks, that her brother (Loren) has voluntarily stepped in to feed, water and keep their pen clean. I am grateful for his help- he is good to the girls (Jacie and I) in his life. She held them all on the way home and came out to help us put them in the coop. As she handed me them one by one, she kissed them and said, "Be Good, I love you."

We definitely have a girl inside that little superhero/ninja.

We do have a new advancement in her rehab treatment plan. I have to say that this addition has caused a little bit of a stir in my home and I have not quite figured out how to make everything run smoothly but I trust that it is for a good reason and that everything will come off in fine form. The change is that Jacie will be admitted into the rehab hospital in Grand Rapids for 4-6 weeks instead of the original 2-3. I guess double or nothing is the game that we are playing this round. All that I can say is, "That is a long time for this mama to be away from home."

It makes me a little tired just thinking about all that we do in May/June and how I will have to be with Jacie in GR and still take the boys to 4-H meetings and things that they count on doing. To top it all off- I will miss the last 6 weeks with our exchange student. The date that we are scheduled to get out of the hospital is the date that Ying flies home. Just to clarify, Jacie is going to in-hospital rehabilitation. She is admitted and will not come home for 4-6 weeks. I will be admitted too, as I will not leave my little girl alone at the hospital overnight.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way, I can tell you that there are good things that will occur from this time. She has the opportunity to get the intense treatment and walking instruction that can change her life. She really needs this help. Also, the insurance company is (should) cover all of the charges. The final good thing is that I get to stay with her in her room. I will not have to pay for a separate room or beg into a Ronald McDonald House. I heard that the restrictions on those houses can be difficult.

So right during planting season- when I am needed at home, I will be lolling my days away in GR. I am afraid that I will suffer from boredom. I am used to having personal freedom to come and go as I please. I love May on the farm. I have no plans for flowers gardens or any gardens because I know that I will be so gone and busy for so much of the first 2 months of summer. I am grateful that I will have some summer to play with since I have been waiting for it to come.

I am thinking that I will begin writing Jacie's book very soon. I am not certain where I am going to fit it into my life (perhaps when I am sitting in a hospital for 4 weeks?) I almost dread the writing of it because I feel as though it will put a sense of finale in my blog. This is such an incredible journey and I want to continue to write about the new things. Yet, there is a story to tell. One that is poignant and real. I know in my heart it is time to put it to print. Pray for me as I attempt to complete it- I feel as though I am running on E often right now.

Also, if you would, continue to remember Jacie. She is such a good girl with a shiny disposition. I am proud of the way that she has rebounded and is seemingly able to understand that the pain and trauma have a purpose. She is truly my heart~

~Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment