Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Monday, January 14, 2013

I Am a Buffoon

Jacie is really moving along in her development, it seems that not long ago we adopted a little girl and in her place is a pre-teenager. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised since all of my children have been early developers. I thought my little Asian cutie might be my exception- nope. Thank heavens I'm flexible...

Jacie and I have quite a girl party going most of the time. She is my little best friend. She wants to be by my side most of the time. I think that she would like to sleep and shower with me if I would let her. I do draw the line somewhere- she is out of luck. I forgot how much little girls want to be their mothers~
She is such a blessing to me. I am not certain even I knew how much of a joy her presence would be in my life. Thank heavens for a God that knows more than I.

On the school front, Jacie is doing very well. She has accepted that she is home schooled and appears to have embraced the lifestyle. We are currently working through 100 Easy Lessons for Teaching Your Child To Read. She really desires to read but going from Chinese to English is very difficult [I had no idea how long it would take for her to understand all of the nuances of the English language.] She said to me the other day, "Mom, will I ever learn to read?"

I responded, "Of course you will."

She looked out the window for a long time and then said softly, "Some people never learn- you know."

How do you respond to that? Talk about being totally unqualified for where I am at. I wish that I had a secret handbook that could give me all of the correct responses. I am certain that she will be reading well by the end of this school year but her 10 year old patience is wearing thin with all of the new things that she must learn.

She is also having a lot of hip, knee and ankle pain. I am not certain if it has to do with growth, weather changes or something completely unrelated. I did find out that her scars can grow into her body and cause pain. I wish I would have known earlier. I would have made her work them every night. Now she just screams when I rub them. All of the ones on her legs haven't been worked for 4 years. The large one on her hip is about 10 inches and needs the most rubbing I think but it is the one that she will let me rub the least. So I push her until I can't anymore- then I feed her ice cream! Both of her hips are displaced and may need surgery. I am praying that growth will push them into place and she won't for a long while. It has been a busy couple of years since she came. I do like her new hospital, Devos in Grand Rapids. Her Dr. moved from K-zoo to Grand Rapids and we followed him there. If she needs any surgeries, I do believe that she is in the right place to get good care.

She is definitely my heart. As her development continues so does her English slang. The other day, When she said something incorrectly, I heard her mutter under her breath, " I am a buffoon."

I just had to laugh. A buffoon, huh? Wonder where she came up with that.

I am blessed and for that, I am grateful~

Camo Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment