Jacie has been home for 2 1/2 years. She was adopted from the Special Needs Chinese Adoption Program at the age of 8 years old. She is learning and growing in her forever family~



Thursday, September 25, 2014

Quietly Slips Away

Tonight I was surfing the Internet and stumbled on an amazing blog about adoption. A blog that shows the daily life and heart of a family that chose to step out of their comfort zone and embrace the unknown. I read back through the posts. I laughed. I cried. I really loved to experience the journey...again.

It was my blog. My journey. My writing. Having stepped away for the past nine months, I missed coming here. I missed remembering. So I am back. I will write more. I will focus on my book without leaving this blog unattended.

For those who are just starting to follow this blog, my daughter Jacie was adopted from the China Special Needs Program in 2010. She was 8 years old at the time. She came with severe club feet and other major orthopedic issues. Since then, we have laughed, loved and cried our way to today. She now can claim 12 full years on the calendar of her life. It is truly amazing how quickly time moves.

Jacie has grown and developed into the amazing young woman that God intended her to be. She has a family, hopes and dreams. She has my heart, Bart's heart and the hearts of her brothers.

Jacie has really taken to swimming. She is getting pretty good. It is difficult for her to kick because she is essentially paralyzed from the knees down. That coupled with the fact that her legs are fused to her feet. She has no ankle or heel bones. So all of her kicking is done off her hips which are displaced. So comparing her to her peers is nearly impossible. We are looking into Para Olympics competitions though. As she loves to compete and has a lot of strength off her shoulders which allows her to be a fairly strong swimmer.
 
She simply enjoys swimming and is a joy to watch. The funny thing is that she had never swam before she came to our family. I remember her in the pool in China, lying on the deck and pretending that she was drowning so Bart would drag her out again. She was so little and cute and SOOO much work back then.
 
This pic was taken in July of 2010, about 5 weeks after she came to America.
 
 
School is a different story though...
 
When we were adopting Jacie, I was told by several people that she would be almost completely fluent within 6 months of coming to America. That was not the case for her. She has struggled with her grasp of the English language and remains firmly (after 4 years) rooted at about 75% fluent. I can think of nothing that will boost her the final 25%. She can speak well but comprehension remains difficult. Reading has not come easy for her and we are now thinking that she has some dyslexia. She is definitely smart and terribly witty. Yet, I feel as though she translates things to Chinese still in order to understand them or she sometimes misses things completely. I keep thinking that I am not doing enough to open the world to her. She is trying hard but still likes to play more than work.
 
Makes me tired just thinking about it...zzz...zzzz...zzzz
 
Life goes on quickly and quietly it slips away. Thanks for taking the time to stop in on mine.
 
Camo Pants 

No comments:

Post a Comment